Thursday, August 5, 2010

San Diego

July 16, 2010 we left St. Louis on a "blue plane" headed to San Diego. It would be the first time we would be back since June 10, 2006. We were all excited. We spent the entire 4 hours on the plane going over the schedule and making sure we were making time for every thing we wanted to do. We also had to make sure we were able to see everyone we wanted to see. The captions under the photos will retell our incredible visit to a beautiful city we once called "home"!



Note the photos are in reverse order......sorry!

We were friends with a family that had two boys the same age as both of our boys. On Thursday night the 22 we were fortunate to fit one last dinner in with them. We headed out to Chula Vista to see the Marchasano's. Much to our surprise we arrived shorty after Marissa was photographed for her SENIOR photos!! Holy cow, I coached her in volleyball when she was in elementary school. Then we saw the boys....they like I said are the same age as our boys, but they seemed sooooo big and grown up. Carol and Mike felt the same way about our boys too! Since our visit Zak and Nick have been playing PS3 with each other online. So cool to reconnect them!

A photo of all the kiddos! When we left they were 13, 9, and 7 Now look at them; 17,13, and 11!


Bella loved Marissa. Here Marissa is patiently getting her hair done by Bella.



Marissa had ranch for her pizza so Bella had to have ranch. Marissa was going to sit on the couch for dinner. However, I would not let Bella sit on the couch so Marissa sat on the tile floor with Bella!




The 22nd was the day of friends. Not only did we see the family above, we also got to see our good friends Anne Marie, Jackson, and Austin. Again the boys are all the same age!


One of Larry's helios flew over us when we were in Coronado on our last day. His eyes followed it with such emotion. I knew his heart missed his flying days just by looking at him. I have to admit I too miss the flying days. I made spouse friends that are my true friends for life. I just wish we were all still in the same squadron.


The 21st we went to Sea World. Kuddos to Sea World for letting military and their families in for free! Bella loves Elmo, but was not sure about the Count.


The wait was over and the hugs began! "I love you Elmo"


Yes, it was cool enough to wear sweatshirts all week. Ahhhh the sunny and 70 degree weather is missed!


Zak and Nik after the Shipwreck ride


I am the looser mom that just cannot ride the wet rides. I cannot stand to be wet feeling all day! I often wonder if it bothers the boys I always opt out.


Bella and Daddy looking at the starfish.



Shamu! The theme of their show is Believe. It was very appropriate for Zak and Nik. I think they took away from it what Larry and I had hoped they would. Which was that no matter what if they believe in themselves, the choices they make will be the right ones for them!


I am not real into the caging of wild animals, so places like the Zoo and Sea World some what bother me. But, I have to admit it is cool to see such a beautiful creature up close.


Shamu welcomed us to the park!


Bella had no idea who Shamu was, but we talked him up so much she could not wait to see him. I bought her a shamu stuffed animal. She talks to Shamu all the time. Yesterday she told me she was going swimming with Shamu today:)


We had dinner with the Schatzlein's at their new home in Poway. It is beautiful. We sat on their back porch and watched the sun disappear behind the mountains while over looking their orchard. Good choice guys!!

Owen is another buddy the boys are now playing video games with online.


Lynne and I



Their orchard! Amazing!




My little monkey playing on a monkey at the San Diego Zoo. Which by the way does not offer a deal for military families, but they do let the active member in for free!

Bella not so sure she wanted her face in that mask of germs!!

My big monkeys did not care about the germs!

Not a great photo.
Bella gave up her pacis in Feb. She would not sleep in the hotel, so we gave in. I had kept one in my diaper bag for some kind of freak emergency. It was crazy, she slept with it and had it in town for Sat and Sun then it disappeared and she never asked for it again!

I do not think you should put soap in a kids mouth for cussing or spitting or back talking so I use Tabasco sauce. Zak thought this was funny to take a photo in front of because Bella started saying "no basco mommy" as soon as she saw the sign. Yes, she has gotten a few times. She does to spit at me when she is mad any more.......

On the 18th we went to Chula Vista and hung out all day by running to the old places we loved so much. We als checked out the new mall. Lucky for my wallet it was not there when we lived there.
This is the boys in front of their old school.

The old house


The old house entry



The real reason we went to San Diego was for our niece's wedding. Here Bella and I are cutting a rug at the reception.

My niece(the bride) and I


I had everyone very well dressed for the event and the setting was perfect for a great family photo. Well, Bella decided photos were over rated, Larry got frustrated, and I quit trying! Pretty good one of just the kids is all I got.
"You may kiss your bride."

Yes, he is really that much taller than me.
Before the wedding on the 17th we spent the day on Coronado. Here Bella is touching the west coast sand for the first time.

Sweet baby toes in the sand

Coronado is beautiful. Everything about it makes me feel at peace.
An officer and his wife

What a beautiful machine!

Larry helped stand this command up. Our hearts will always belong to the "Blackjacks"
Fellow Navy friends notice I left off the CO's plaque:)
The best family photo of the entire trip!


Larry will never forget his tour at 3 in 2000. There were so many people there that we owe so much to.

Larry and a few of his brothers after their tour on the Nimitz. As soon as I saw her, I felt tears welling up in my eyes. I remember watching that ship carry Larry off for our first taste of work ups.


The kiddos up nice and early the first day!

Our trip went way too fast. However, the memories we remade/made while there will help carry my through until the next time we can make it out there. Vacation Summer 2010 ranks right up there with our week at Disney 2009. Maybe even placing in front of Disney!



No comments: