Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Childhood Hero

The famous numbers
Please Ryno one more autograph for me.

Coming in from the 3rd base line.


Gearing up his men.


Wish it had been my bat!

Most of you know I take my Cub's baseball pretty serious! I love my Cubs and despite a loosing season more often than not, I still love them. I am not sure why, but if you ask any Cub fan they will probably tell you, there is just something about being a Cub fan one cannot describe.

Today, the Iowa Cubs(Chicago's Minor League Team) was in Memphis playing the Redbirds(Cardinal's Minor League Team). I was hell bent on going to the game and sitting right next to the dugout because the Iowa Cub's manager is my all time favorite Cub....the famous #23 Ryno! I grew up hearing his name come from Harry Carry on WGN and at Wrigley Field. I loved Ryno, I wanted to be a second baseman because of Ryno. I was never good enough to play 2nd, but my sister was and she worn #23. I was however, good enough at times to play 1st and I would dream about Mark Grace.












Well, I did it. I had 2 tickets right next to the dugout and was so excited to go! Game time was 1:35pm so I had the sitter arrive at 12pm. Larry and I were set to go until Larry's experiment failed at school. He called at 12:15pm to tell me there was no way he would make it to meet me at the game. I had to decided quickly to go or not. I knew there was talk of Ryno moving up to be with the Cubs next year and the Iowa Cubs were only in town for one more game this season. I had to go even if it meant alone. So, off I went. Arriving in plenty of time to line up for a photo and autograph. Well, time did not allow for Ryno to get to me, but I got lots of photos. And, I will never forget getting to see him up close coach a game.

Hopefully, this time next year I will be sitting in Wrigley watching him coach the Cubs to victory over the Cards. We will see......for now, I just have some cool memories of today to stash in my memory bank of a childhood hero!

No comments: